As the protest for a better policing system continues in several states of the federation, the movement is on the verge of jeopardy as a tussle is ongoing about the leadership of the #EndSARS movement.
Earlier, social media activist, Segun Awosanya, popularly known as Segalink, says the #EndSARS protests in many locations across the country have been hijacked.
In a series of tweets, Segalink described the hijackers as “known elements,” urging those with genuine interest to continue with the advocacy.
Segalink said in a series of tweets:
They never fought for you. They waited for the advocacy to mature and seek to sow discord just to take over the narrative for their hidden agenda. You know them. They care less if you live or die. Keep your eyes peeled. Focus on the Goal.
Hustlers being controlled by the lust after money are playing games and throwing narratives around. Your rights to protest must never be commercialised for any agenda. Check the patterns and note the players while keeping your focus.
The attempt to hijack the #EndSARS #ReformPoliceNG Movement by known elements who were against it from day one and had to be a part now for fame and earnings is not surprising. They felt they can demonise me and take ownership by force. But they’ll fail again as always.
Special thanks to @SavvyRinu et all, who started the organic protest before the hijackers took it over. We shall overcome. #EndSARS #ReformPoliceNG.
They never fought for you. They waited for the advocacy to mature and seek to sow discord just to take over the narrative for their hidden agenda. You know them. They care less if you live or die. Keep your eyes peeled. Focus on the Goal. #EndImpunity #ReformPoliceNG
— SEGA L'éveilleur®🚨 (@segalink) October 14, 2020
Thousands of Nigerians defied the odds and continued the protests in many states on Wednesday as they unite against police brutality. In Lagos, traffic has been brought to a standstill in parts of the state.
Demonstrations organised on social media erupted earlier this month with young Nigerians calling for the abolition of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad accused of unlawful arrests, torture, and extra-judicial killings.
The Federal Government gave in to the demand on Sunday, announcing that SARS had been disbanded.
Meanwhile, the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, on Tuesday, ordered all defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad personnel to undergo a psychological and medical examination.
He also set up the Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT) that will replace the disbanded SARS.
Many have, however, greeted the announcements with scepticism after previous vows to improve SARS went unfulfilled.
Instead, they began another advocacy using #EndSWAT as a replacement for #EndSARS which was the number one trend globally for more than 48 hours.